Cancellation and refund
Travel plans can often change without warning. Using the online refund option, Lufthansa flight bookings can be cancelled and refunded online up to 24 hours before the beginning of your journey. The reimbursement of the airfare is contingent upon the fare conditions.
Options for your refund
Refunds can be made in accordance with fare conditions. Restrictions apply with regard to the refundability of the fare purchased. Depending on the fare conditions and any segments of the ticket used, the refund value of the fare, taxes and fees will be calculated and refunded to the original method of payment.You can find out whether your ticket is refundable, and under which conditions, in your booking confirmation email under the item “Fare conditions”.
You can cancel your trip and request a refund under My bookings up to 24 hours before departure:
- Click on My bookings to go to the login page of your booking summary.
- To log in, enter your surname and booking code. Any booking that can be cancelled will be displayed in your booking summary with a "Cancellation" button.
- Click on the "Cancellation" button next to the relevant booking and confirm your selection on the following page.
- Your flight booking will now be cancelled and you will receive an automatic confirmation email. If you purchased your ticket online at lufthansa.com or at a Lufthansa Office, the refund will be made automatically and there is no need for any further action. For tickets booked via a travel agency, we recommend that you also get in touch with them. If you do not receive a response in a timely manner or it seems necessary for other reasons, please contact us again for further processing.
If you hold a ticket for a flight cancelled by Lufthansa, and you have not yet submitted your ticket for a refund, you can submit it for refund either here or at your travel agency.
If your ticket has not been used, the ticket price including all taxes and fees will be refunded to the original method of payment.
If you have already used one or more segments of the journey, the unused portion of the fare value, taxes and fees will be calculated and the ticket refunded accordingly on a pro rata basis.
If you have any further questions, please use our Chat Assistant service.
If you changed your ticket into a Flight Value Voucher that you no longer wish to use, you can have it refunded.
As of March 19 we have implemented our new rebooking options that offer even greater flexibility. Already booked tickets for still existing flights no longer expire and can be rebooked until August 31, 2020. In addition, Lufthansa is now offering a 50 euro discount* for each rebooked ticket. As our service centers are still facing a high volume of incoming calls and due to the flexible rebooking options offered, we kindly ask you to only contact our service center if you have a flight within the next 72 hours.
Passengers of cancelled or significantly delayed flights who choose not to make use of a flexible rebooking option can, of course, still request a refund. The same applies for passengers holding tickets with refundable fares, irrespective of the flight status. You can use either use the online refund option or contact our Service Center. However, we ask for your understanding that due to the high volume of requests, it might not be possible to process refunds within the usual time limits.
Learn more about the possibilties to receive a flight voucher for your Lufthansa flight to be redeemed at a later point in time.
* To qualify for the €50 discount when rebooking a new ticket, either the original ticket or the rebooked ticket must have a fare value of more than €50.
This might also be of interest to you
Travelling and corona
At Lufthansa, your safety is our top priority. That is why you will find the most important information about planning your journey here.
Entry regulations for your destination
You will find the current entry regulations for your destination here.
Current flight status
By entering your flight number, you will receive updated information about your flight.