Digital baggage services
With the Lufthansa app and our digital baggage services, you can enjoy the reassurance of knowing where your baggage is located throughout your journey.
Baggage receipt and baggage status
Immediately after dropping off your baggage at either the check-in counter or a self-service bag drop kiosk, it is very easy to call up your baggage receipt and baggage status using the mobile boarding pass on your smartphone.
Your baggage receipt will be sent to you as a push notification in the Lufthansa app and/or by email. In the event of your baggage going astray, this baggage receipt serves as the starting point for locating your baggage. After your receipt has been displayed once, it will also be filed locally in the Lufthansa app so that you can refer to it at any time.
Baggage carousel information
After you have landed, a push notification will inform you which baggage carousel to go to in order to pick up your luggage. This service is currently available at a number of airports (e.g. Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart and Milan).
Instead of waiting to get to the airport to put a bag tag on your luggage and to register it, you can do this at home for selected routes.
The HomeTag is offered on many routes. If it is available for your flight, the HomeTag option will be displayed automatically during the online check-in process.
You can save yourself a lot of time waiting in queues to drop off your baggage, as it is really quick using the machines with the HomeTag. It makes superfluous the identification step using your boarding pass that would otherwise be necessary.
Please note that for departures within the EU, printing must be in colour as this is the current statutory requirement.
- Check in online on lufthansa.com.
- Select your seat for the flight.
- Enter the number of bags you have.
- Print out the travel document you require (boarding pass or passenger receipt) as well as the HomeTag for your suitcase.
- Attach the HomeTag to your luggage using a holder. These holders can be obtained free of charge from Lufthansa bag drop-off counters. They can be reused for other journeys you may make.
And you’re all set!
With a Smart bag you can easily and conveniently provide your baggage with the necessary bag tags for your flight, either from home or when you’re on the move – and the entire process is completely digital.
All you need is the Lufthansa app and a Smart bag (RIMOWA Electronic Tag or BAGTAG). You will then be able to check in your baggage by app (under ‘My baggage’ in the main menu, via the drop-down menu for your upcoming flight or via your mobile boarding pass) and drop it off at the airport within a few minutes.
You will find detailed guidance on using the electronic tag here.
Bag drop-off at self-service bag drop kiosks
In Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg and Berlin as well as in Geneva, Vienna and at other selected airports outside Germany, there are self-service bag drop kiosks available to you where you can check in your baggage.
In Frankfurt, there are self-service bag drop kiosks in Departures Hall A, counters 260-277 and in Departures Hall B, counters 453-461.
At Munich Airport, our self-service bag drop kiosks are available on the Departures level in Terminal 2. The self-service bag drop kiosks are located in the middle of the central Lufthansa Economy check-in area as well as at the two side entrances for cars in the P20 car park and at the kerbside of the taxi rank and bus stop.
At Hamburg Airport, you will find the self-service bag drop kiosks in Terminal 1 at check-in row 3 as well as at the ‘head of the island’" of check-in rows 7 and 8.
In Geneva, the self-service bag drop kiosks are located at check-in counters 78–83.
In Vienna, the self-service bag drop kiosks are located in Terminal 3 at check-in counters 301-399.
- Scan the barcode of your boarding pass on the scanner. Please make sure that the backlight of your mobile phone is on if you are using a mobile boarding pass.
- Check the booking information that appears on the screen and press ‘Check in baggage’ if all the details are correct.
- Place your first piece of baggage on the conveyor belt.
- The self-adhesive bag tag is printed automatically.
- Attach the tag to your baggage item.
- Confirm the removal of your baggage. Provided it is included in your fare or permitted by your customer status, you can now check in additional items of baggage.
- A receipt for your checked baggage is printed out once you have finished the drop-off process. Please keep this receipt until you have reclaimed your baggage at your destination.
Online notification of delayed baggage
If your luggage is not delivered to you on the baggage carousel, you can report it as delayed, either online or via your Smartphone.
It is very easy to access this service:
- by following the link sent to you by email or SMS
- via the Lufthansa app
- online via Delayed baggage service
We recommend that you remain at the airport until your details have been successfully transmitted.