Star Alliance Biometrics
The Star Alliance biometric recognition system will enable you to get through security access and board quickly with minimal contact. In the future, a single glance will grant you access – a boarding pass or smartphone will not be needed. As a Miles & More member on a Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian flight, you can take advantage of this feature exclusively at Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna airports.
How to register with Star Alliance Biometrics
Registration only takes a few minutes and must be done at least 24 hours before departure. To do this, you need your valid passport and the latest version of the Lufthansa or Miles & More App.
You don't have a Miles & More service card number yet? Then use the following link for a free registration and get your Miles & More service card number immediately.
Open the Lufthansa App
From the menu, select "Star Alliance Biometrics" and agree to share your name and Miles & More service card number with Star Alliance Biometrics. You will then be redirected to the Star Alliance App.
Requirements for registration: Make sure that you have installed the latest version of the Lufthansa App and that it is linked to your Miles & More account.
In the Star Alliance App, you must agree that your biometric data may be collected and used for identification at the airport.
Set up a six-digit PIN and your security question for your biometric profile.
Take a photo of yourself, which will later be used for identification at the airport.
Please also take a photo of your passport for a one-time comparison of your data.
Define your personal settings for the use of your biometric data.
At the end of the registration, your entries will be validated. You will then receive a notification about successful registration in the Star Alliance App.
Please note: The security of your data is important to us, which is why it is transmitted to Star Alliance Biometrics completely encrypted. For further details, please refer to the data protection notice for Star Alliance Biometrics.
Good to know
- Miles & More members with a valid Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian ticket can take advantage of this feature. Registration via the Lufthansa or Miles & More App is possible. You don't have a Miles & More service card number yet? Then use the following link for a free registration and get your Miles & More service card number immediately.
To registration at Miles & More
- The technology is currently available at access to the security checkpoints and at selected boarding gates at Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna airports.
- Facial recognition technology works when you are wearing a face mask, however, face masks with detailed patterns may cause difficulties with identification.
- In the Star Alliance network, you will be registered for all participating airports and airlines, however, you can decide which airports and airlines may use your data.
- 24 hours after successful registration, you may already use Star Alliance Biometrics at equipped airports.
- You will be identified by Star Alliance Biometrics using your Miles & More service card number. Remember to include this information when booking your next flight.
Frequently asked questions about Star Alliance Biometrics
Even with Star Alliance Biometrics, you must always carry your boarding pass with you, because there may be contact points where it is still needed (e.g. border control).
Your biometric profile at Star Alliance Biometrics does not replace the ID check at the airport. Please always carry your passport/identity card with you.
There may be several reasons why you cannot (no longer) be identified biometrically at the airport:
- The airport does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics.
Overview of airports offering biometric identification
- The access point does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics. Currently, the technology is available at security checkpoints and boarding. In this case, you will be asked to scan your boarding pass as usual.
- The airline you are flying with does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics
Overview of Star Alliance Biometrics Partners
- You have not yet consented to the use of data by the relevant airline and/or by the departure airport.
- Terms and conditions may have changed and your consent is pending. Please check the messages in your biometric profile in the Star Alliance App.
- To use the biometric service at the airport, you must provide your Miles & More service card number at the time of booking. Otherwise, your biometric profile cannot be identified.
- In the case of a last minute booking or check-in, your flight booking may not have been synchronized with Star Alliance Biometrics.
- If your Miles & More membership status has changed, it might be possible that this information has not yet been synchronized with Star Alliance Biometrics. Updated Miles & More service card number are synchronized every 24 hours. Please be patient in this case.
- If you are wearing a hat, sunglasses or scarf, or if the camera is disturbed by strong backlight, you may not be identified. If your appearance has drastically changed since registering for Star Alliance Biometrics, this could also be a reason for non-recognition.
If you still continue to experience identification difficulties, please contact Star Alliance directly. In the Star Alliance App, go to settings and select the "Send Feedback" feature. You can then contact the appropriate service center.
You must be at least 18 years of age to use Star Alliance Biometrics.
You may also be interested in
Traveling as a Frequent Flyer during Corona
The current situation may restrict your privileges. We have summarized these clearly for you.
Miles & More
Discover our Frequent Flyer and awards program, Miles & More, which offers you numerous privileges on your future trips.
Check in for your next flight from the comfort of your home or office. You can simply print your boarding pass or save it to your smartphone.