Child restraint systems
Please understand that Lufthansa is unable to provide you with child restraint systems, but as parents you are welcome to bring your own car seats or baby baskets on board with you for your children. Please note that the child restraint system is your property and therefore its use on our aircraft is also your responsibility.
Do you need a child seat in an aircraft?
Infants under two years of age can travel on the lap of an accompanying adult. In this instance, flight attendants will give the adult a safety belt for the child before take-off. The child can also travel on a separate seat. If this is the case, the child must be secured by a child restraint system that the adult must bring on board with them. In principle a bookable seat is available for children over 24 months. There may be restrictions for aircraft safety reasons (e.g. seats in emergency exits or seats with airbag system).
Conditions of use for the use of child restraint systems and so-called "comfort devices"
By taking your own child restraint system on board you confirm that
- you are aware of the airline’s general conditions of carriage,
- Before boarding your flight, check whether the child restraint system is suitable for air travel. For information about currently available child seats, TÜV Rheinland publishes an overview on its website at the following link, https://www.tuv.com/landingpage/en/manufacturer-of-child-seats/ Child restraint systems that consist only of belts attached over and/or around the backrest of the seat cannot be used on board. The child restraint system must only be attached using the seat’s lap belt. There is no possibility of attaching ISOFIX equipment.
- the child restraint system is in perfect working order, you are familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions for the system’s use and fitting in an aircraft and you can attach the child restraint system to the passenger seat on your own. Please understand that, regrettably, our flight attendants will not be able to help you fix the child restraint system in place.
- You have agreed that the child restraint system must be checked in as hold baggage if it cannot be fitted properly to the passenger seat.
- So-called “comfort devices” that are attached to the passenger seat or placed in the footwell (e.g. inflatable cubes, seat extenders, etc.) may not be used on board Lufthansa flights for safety reasons.
Points to note when booking and checking in
The use of a child restraint system is, of course, free of charge. Please note, however, that the child restraint system must be attached to a passenger seat. For children/babies (under 2 years), therefore, you must purchase a CHILD ticket. In this case, you must bring a child restraint system for your child/baby (under 24 months) with you. Otherwise, the child/baby must sit on an adult’s lap throughout the flight despite the purchased seat. The child restraint system must not impede other passengers in the event of a possible emergency evacuation. The following rules are therefore in place in relation to boarding and seat designation; please observe these when checking in and choosing your seat.
We recommend that you choose a window seat for the child using the child restraint system. As the accompanying adult, you should take the seat next to them in any case.
If an adult is traveling with more than two children aged under 24 months, it must be ensured that enough seats are booked and that the passengers provide child restraint systems.