Conditions for advance seat reservations
Please note that a confirmed advance seat reservation does not constitute a legal entitlement to a particular seat, but only the category selected, e.g. aisle or window.
Seats with more legroom
In Economy Class, Lufthansa offers you the option of reserving a seat with extra legroom on almost all types of aircraft. You can see the exact position of the seats on the seat maps. They feature at least ten centimetres of extra legroom.
Some of these seats are located in the emergency exit rows. Please note the following special conditions in such cases.
Seats in the emergency exit rows
To reserve seats in emergency exit rows, the following conditions apply:
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You are fluent in the German or English language.
- You are willing to provide assistance in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- You are capable of reading and understanding instructions and of complying with the orders of the crew in the event of an emergency.
- You are able to carry out the instructed tasks without the help of a companion, parent or other relative.
- You are not travelling with a person who would be dependent on your help in the event of an emergency.
- You have no condition or position of responsibility that would restrict you from carrying out these tasks or would lead to bodily harm in their execution.
- You are not travelling with a small animal in the flight cabin.
In order to ensure safety, Lufthansa is, before departure, entitled to assign a different seat to passengers who cannot meet these requirements.
Please also note that any carry-on baggage must be stowed in overhead bins as no items may be put near or under the seats of an emergency exit row during take-off and landing.
Reimbursement of paid advance seat reservations
Already paid-for advance seat reservations can be reimbursed in the following cases:
- If a flight itinerary is changed by Lufthansa, e.g. a change of aircraft type resulting in no equivalent seat being available on the new flight.
- If an unforeseen flight disruption results in you needing to be rebooked onto another flight, for which no equivalent seat is available.
Reimbursements can be requested online at “My bookings” or via a Lufthansa Service Center. Please note that refunds cannot be issued directly at the airport or on board the aircraft. Please contact Lufthansa as soon as possible after your flight for any reimbursements.
Paid-for advance seat reservations cannot be reimbursed if:
- You cancel your trip and your ticket is not reimbursable.
- You have received an upgrade from Lufthansa for reasons of goodwill or operational reasons.
- You change your seat, but the new seat is cheaper or free of charge.
- You do not meet the conditions for sitting in an emergency exit row.
- You make changes to your journey, but on your new flights, equivalent seats are no longer available, advance seat reservations on your new flights are free of charge, or these flights are not operated by Lufthansa, Lufthansa Regional or Austrian Airlines.
- You make changes to your journey and thus alter your route.