Frequently asked questions regarding Star Alliance Biometrics
Star Alliance's biometric facial recognition enables you to quickly and almost contactlessly get access to security control and boarding without a boarding pass or smartphone. Here you will find all important questions and answers summarized.
Registration and Login
There are several reasons for an unsuccessful registration:
- The name in your Miles & More account does not match the name on your passport.
- The photo taken during registration is very different from the one in your passport.
- Lighting conditions in selfies are not sufficient. It is best to take the photo against a white background.
- Your country of origin does not allow access to the biometric data of your passport (e.g. China or Russia).
- The liveness check has failed. Star Alliance Biometrics checks whether a person is really being photographed in order to prevent the creation of fake profiles.
- You have not yet reached the minimum age of 18.
If you continue to still experience issues, please contact Star Alliance directly. In the Star Alliance App, go to settings and select the "Send Feedback" feature. You can then contact the appropriate service center.
Star Alliance Biometrics is a product of Star Alliance. For this reason, you can only register as a Lufthansa customer with your Miles & More account number. If you have both a Lufthansa iD and a Miles & More account, you can link your accounts together via your Lufthansa iD profile. If you don't have a Miles & More account yet, you can create one at no charge.
To use Star Alliance Biometrics permanently, you only need to register once. Because you are identified by Star Alliance Biometrics with your Frequent Flyer number, simply specify your number on your next flight booking.
If you also want to use this technology with Star Alliance partners using another frequent flyer program, you must re-register with the appropriate Frequent Flyer number. The registration must then be completed using the app of the respective Star Alliance Biometrics Partner.
Yes, currently a new registration is required if you receive a new Frequent Flyer number as part of a status change.
No, you will need a valid passport to register. Registration with just an identity card is not possible.
You must be at least 18 years of age to use Star Alliance Biometrics.
Please make sure that you have the latest version of the Lufthansa App installed. If not, please update to the latest version.
Your six-digit PIN protects your biometric profile in the Star Alliance App. Your existing Lufthansa iD or Miles & More passwords will not be changed.
In the Star Alliance App, go to settings and select the "Send Feedback" feature. You can then contact the appropriate service center.
If you do not remember your PIN or the answer to your security question, please contact Star Alliance directly. In the Star Alliance App, go to settings and select the "Send Feedback" feature. You can then contact the appropriate service center.
At the airport
The biometric identifications by Star Alliance Biometrics are used to verify the identity of passengers at the airport by matching facial photos taken at the airport with facial photos already stored.
At a Biometric marked contact point at the airport (currently at access to security and boarding), simply look into the camera. High resolution photos will be taken to match your identity and stored in your biometric profile. Up to five photos can be stored for better identification.
You will be notified should any further interaction be needed.
The biometric access points are identified by the Star Alliance Biometrics logo above the gate and corresponding floor markings.
Even with Star Alliance Biometrics, you must always carry your boarding pass with you, because there may be contact points where it is still needed (e.g. border control).
Your biometric profile at Star Alliance Biometrics does not replace the ID check at the airport. Please always carry your passport/identity card with you.
There may be several reasons why you cannot (no longer) be identified biometrically at the airport:
- The airport does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics.
Overview of airports offering biometric identification
- The access point does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics. Currently, the technology is available at access to security checkpoints and boarding. In this case, you will be asked to scan your boarding pass as usual.
- The airline you are flying with does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics.
Overview of Star Alliance Biometrics Partners
- You have not yet consented to the use of data by the relevant airline and/or by the departure airport.
- Terms and conditions may have changed and your consent is pending. Please check the messages in your biometric profile in the Star Alliance App.
- To use the biometric service at the airport, you must provide your Frequent Flyer number at the time of booking. Otherwise, your biometric profile cannot be identified.
- In the case of a last minute booking or check-in, your flight booking may not have been synchronized with Star Alliance Biometrics.
- If your Miles & More membership status has changed, it might be possible that this information has not yet been synchronized with Star Alliance Biometrics. Updated Frequent Flyer numbers are synchronized every 24 hours. Please be patient in this case.
- If you are wearing a hat, sunglasses or scarf, or if the camera is disturbed by strong backlight, you may not be identified. If your appearance has drastically changed since registering for Star Alliance Biometrics, this could also be a reason for non-recognition.
If you still continue to experience identification difficulties, please contact Star Alliance directly. In the Star Alliance App, go to settings and select the "Send Feedback" feature. You can then contact the appropriate service center.
If biometric identification at one of the access points does not work, you will be prompted to scan your boarding pass as usual.
For an optimized identification process, the Star Alliance stores up to five photos of you. Your Frequent Flyer number and the expiration date of your passport will also be stored.
Your validated Frequent Flyer number will be linked to your biometric profile to identify you as a guest at the airport.
In addition, your name is required for comparison to the name on your passport with the name of the Miles & More account. Your name will be discarded after successful matching and will not be saved by Star Alliance. The allocation to your booking is only done via your Frequent Flyer number.
The Star Alliance App requires your validated Frequent Flyer number in order to link it to your biometric profile and identify you as a guest later at the airport.
Your name is only required for comparison purposes to the name on your passport with the name of your Miles & More account. After successful matching, your name will be deleted again.
Star Alliance Biometrics stores up to five photos of you to optimize facial recognition. You cannot view the saved photos. You only have access to your biometric profile, which includes, among other things, your settings for the use of your data.
Star Alliance Biometrics is a Star Alliance product. Accordingly, your data is stored by Star Alliance. Your data will be stored in a Microsoft Azure Cloud in Europe in compliance with GDPR regulations. Lufthansa does not have access to the data of your biometric profile. When identifying at the airport, Star Alliance Biometrics provides Lufthansa contact points with your boarding pass information.
You can log into your biometric profile at any time in the Star Alliance App under "Profile". To do this, you will need your Frequent Flyer number as well as the six-digit PIN you set during registration.
If you do not have your Frequent Flyer number, you can also start the login via the Lufthansa App – provided you are logged into the Lufthansa App. In this case, your Frequent Flyer number will be transferred to the Star Alliance App and you will not need to enter it manually.
You can restrict the use of your biometric profile by means of the following parameters:
- Airline / Star Alliance Biometrics Partner
You can change the settings at any time in your biometric profile within the Star Alliance App.
Your biometric profile contains sensitive data that Star Alliance Biometrics wants to protect in the best possible way. For this reason, you will be automatically logged out after your session expires. To re-access your profile, you will be required to login again.
You can delete your biometric profile at any time. To do this, go to Profile Management in your biometric profile in the Star Alliance App. If you delete your biometric profile, you will no longer be able to use biometric identification.
No, photos are not stored at the biometric access points if you are not registered with Star Alliance Biometrics.