Star Alliance Biometrics
Star Alliance’s biometric face field recognition allows you to make your way through security and boarding quickly and with almost no contact. In the future, all it will take is a single glance from you – without a boarding pass or smartphone. As a Miles & More member on a Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian flight, you can benefit exclusively from this offer at Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna airports.
This is how to register with Star Alliance Biometrics
Registration only takes a few minutes and must be completed at least 24 hours before departure. For this, you will need your valid passport and the latest version of the Miles & More app.
You don’t yet have a Miles & More service card number? Then please use the following link to register free of charge and immediately receive your Miles & More service card number.
Open the Miles & More app
Select the "Star Alliance Biometrics" menu item, and consent to the disclosure of your name and Miles & More service card number to Star Alliance Biometrics. You will then be re-directed to the Star Alliance app.
Requirement for registration: please make sure that you have the latest version of the Miles & More app installed.
Consent to the collection of your biometric data and its use at the airport for identification purposes in the Star Alliance app.
Set up a six-digit PIN and your security question for your biometric profile.
Take a photo of yourself that will later be used for identification at the airport.
In addition, please take a photograph of your passport for the one-time comparison of your data.
Set your personal preferences for the use of your biometric data.
At the end of your registration, your entries will be validated. You will then receive notification of your successful registration in the Star Alliance app.
Good to know
- Miles & More members with a valid ticket issued by Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian can take advantage of the offer. Registration is possible via the Miles & More app. You don’t yet have a Miles & More service card number? Then use the following link to register free of charge and immediately receive your Miles & More service card number.
Register with Miles & More
- The technology is currently available at the access points to security as well as at selected boarding gates at Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna airports.
- Facial recognition also works when you are wearing your face mask. If the pattern is unusual, there may be problems with identification.
- Your registration is permanent for all participating airports and airlines in the Star Alliance network. You decide for yourself at which airports and by which airlines your data may be used.
- You will be able to use Star Alliance Biometrics at equipped airports 24 hours after successful registration.
- Star Alliance Biometrics identifies you by means of your Miles & More service card number. Please remember to specify this when you next book flights.
Frequently asked questions about Star Alliance Biometrics
You must always have your boarding pass with you despite Star Alliance Biometrics because there may be contact points where you still need it (e.g. border controls).
Your biometric profile with Star Alliance Biometrics does not replace ID checks at the airport. Please have your passport/ID card with you at all times.
There may be various reasons why you cannot (or can no longer) be biometrically identified at the airport:
- The airport does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics.
Overview of airports that offer biometric identification
- The access point you have chosen does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics. Currently, the technology is available at security checkpoints and boarding. If this is the case, you will be asked to scan your boarding pass as usual.
- The airline you are flying with does not yet support Star Alliance Biometrics.
Overview of Star Alliance Biometrics partners
- The terms and conditions may have changed and your consent is still pending. Please check the messages in your biometric profile in the Star Alliance app.
- To be able to use the biometric service at the airport, you must quote your Miles & More service card number when booking. Otherwise your biometric profile cannot be identified.
- In the case of a last-minute booking or last-minute check-in, your flight booking may not yet have been synchronised with Star Alliance Biometrics.
- If there has been a change in your Miles & More membership status, it is possible that this information has not yet been synchronised with Star Alliance Biometrics. Updated Miles & More service card numbers are synchronised every 24 hours. If this is the case, please be patient.
- If you are wearing a cap, sunglasses or scarf, or if the camera is impaired by strong backlight, you may not be identified. If your outward appearance has changed considerably since you registered for Star Alliance Biometrics, this could also be a reason for non-recognition
If none of the above-mentioned reasons apply to you, please contact Star Alliance directly. To do this, go to settings in the Star Alliance app, and select the "Send Feedback" function. You can then contact the relevant service centre.
You can use Star Alliance Biometrics from the age of 18.
This might also be of interest to you
Traveling as a frequent flyer during Covid
As a result of the current situation, there may be restrictions on your privileges. We have summarised these clearly for you.
Miles & More
Discover Miles & More, our frequent flyer and awards programme which offers you numerous privileges on your future travel.
Check in conveniently for your next flight from home or the office. You can print out your boarding pass easily yourself.