Conditions for advance seat reservations
Please note that a confirmed advance seat reservation does not constitute a legal entitlement to a particular seat, but only the category selected, e.g. aisle or window.
Seats with extra legroom
In Economy Class, Lufthansa offers you the option of reserving a seat with extra legroom on almost all types of aircraft. You can see the exact position of the seats on the seat maps. These seats provide at least ten centimetres of extra legroom.
Some of these seats are located in emergency exit rows. Please note the following special conditions in such cases.
Seats in emergency exit rows
To reserve seats in emergency exit rows, the following conditions apply:
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You must be able to carry out the tasks required without the help of a companion, parent or other relative.
- You are willing to provide support in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- You are able to read and understand instructions and to carry out the instructions of the on-board personnel in an emergency.
- You are not travelling with a passenger who would be dependent on your help in an emergency.
- You have no condition or position of responsibility that would restrict you from carrying out these duties or could lead to bodily harm in the execution of these duties.
- You are fluent in German or English.
- You are not travelling with an animal in the aircraft cabin.
In order to ensure the safety of everyone on board, Lufthansa has the right to assign a different seat to passengers who cannot meet these requirements.
Please also note that any carry-on baggage must be stowed in overhead bins as no items may be put near or under the seats during take-off and landing.
Reimbursement of paid advance seat reservations
Already paid-for advance seat reservations can be reimbursed in the following cases:
- If a flight itinerary is changed by Lufthansa, e.g. a change of aircraft type resulting in no equivalent seat being available on the new flight.
- If an unforeseen flight disruption results in you needing to be rebooked onto another flight, for which no equivalent seat is available.
- You cancel your trip and your ticket is refundable.
Reimbursements can be requested online at “My bookings” or via a Lufthansa Service Center. Please note that refunds cannot be issued directly at the airport or on board the aircraft. Please contact Lufthansa as soon as possible after your flight for any reimbursements.
Paid-for advance seat reservations cannot be reimbursed if:
- You cancel your trip and your ticket is not reimbursable.
- You have received an upgrade from Lufthansa for reasons of goodwill or operational reasons.
- You change your seat, but the new seat is cheaper or free of charge.
- You do not meet the conditions for sitting in an emergency exit row.
- You make changes to your trip, but on your new flights, equivalent seats are no longer available, seat reservations on your new flights are free of charge, or these flights are not operated by Lufthansa, Lufthansa Regional or Austrian Airlines.
- You make changes to your trip and thus alter your route.