Conditions for advance seat reservations
Please note that a confirmed advance seat reservation does not constitute a legal entitlement to a particular seat, but only the category selected, e.g. aisle or window.
Seats with more legroom
In Economy Class, Lufthansa offers you the option of reserving a seat with extra legroom on almost all types of aircraft. You can see the exact position of the seats on the seat maps. They feature at least ten centimetres of extra legroom.
Some of these seats are located in the emergency exit rows. Please note the following special conditions in such cases.
Seats in the emergency exit rows
To reserve seats in emergency exit rows, the following conditions apply:
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You are fluent in the German or English language.
- You are willing to provide assistance in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- You are capable of reading and understanding instructions and of complying with the orders of the crew in the event of an emergency.
- You are able to carry out the instructed tasks without the help of a companion, parent or other relative.
- You are not travelling with a person who would be dependent on your help in the event of an emergency.
- You have no condition or position of responsibility that would restrict you from carrying out these tasks or would lead to bodily harm in their execution.
- You are not travelling with a small animal in the flight cabin.
In order to ensure safety, Lufthansa is, before departure, entitled to assign a different seat to passengers who cannot meet these requirements.
Please also note that any carry-on baggage must be stowed in overhead bins as no items may be put near or under the seats of an emergency exit row during take-off and landing.
Reimbursement of paid advance seat reservations
Already paid-for advance seat reservations can be reimbursed in the following cases:
- If a flight itinerary is changed by Lufthansa, e.g. a change of aircraft type resulting in no equivalent seat being available on the new flight.
- If an unforeseen flight disruption results in you needing to be rebooked onto another flight, on which there is no equivalent seat available to you.
Reimbursements can be requested online at “My bookings” or via a Lufthansa Service Center.
Please note that refunds cannot be issued directly at the airport or on board the aircraft. Please contact Lufthansa as soon as possible after your flight for any reimbursements.
Paid-for advance seat reservations cannot be reimbursed if:
- You cancel your trip.
- You receive an upgrade from Lufthansa for reasons of goodwill or operational reasons.
- You change your seat, but the new seat is cheaper or free of charge.
- You do not meet the conditions for sitting in an emergency exit row.
- You make changes to your journey but on your new flights, equivalent seats are no longer available, advance seat reservations on your new flights are free of charge, or these flights are not operated by Lufthansa, Lufthansa Regional or Austrian Airlines.
- You make changes to your journey and thus alter your route.
Economy Light fare
Terms and conditions of sale for seat changes that are subject to a fee at check-in for European flights
Please note that passengers who have purchased an Economy Light fare on a continental route and have not made an advance seat reservation that is subject to a fee before checking in cannot change the seat offered to them at check-in without payment of a fee. Without change, the check-in procedure can be completed with the initial seat suggestion without additional costs.
The following requirements must be fulfilled:
- You have booked an Economy Light fare on a continental flight.
- You check in for a flight operated by Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian Airlines.
- You would like to change the seat offered at check-in at your own request.
- There are still seats available on the flight you are checking in on.
- There are no operational reasons that would prevent a seat change.
- You have a confirmed booking and are accepted at check-in (no waiting list).
- Passengers who have already purchased an advance seat reservation can change free of charge.
Terms and conditions
- The seat change, after payment of the amendment fee, is possible within Economy Class per leg of the trip.
- The amendment fee entitles the passenger to change their seat to any seat that is still available.
- The amendment fee is payable once per leg of the trip. Multiple seat changes are permitted on the same leg of the trip.
- The amendment fee applies per passenger per leg of the trip.
- The amendment fee is not refundable and is forfeited if you do not board the flight.
- The amendment fee does not create an entitlement to the selected seat number or category. Seat changes may be made due to operational reasons of the airline. In such a case, you can change seats free of charge. A refund for this reason is not possible.