Find out before departure about checking in baggage at German airports for your Lufthansa, partner or Star Alliance flight. If you have already obtained your boarding pass on your smartphone, online or at a check-in counter, you have the option of checking in your baggage at a self-service bag drop kiosk.
Baggage check-in at the self-service bag drop kiosks
At Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg and Stuttgart airports, you can check in your baggage quickly and easily yourself at the self-service bag drop kiosks.
The only stipulation is that you must be in possession of a boarding pass issued on your smartphone, online or at a check-in machine, and you must have valid travel documents with you. If you are travelling with excess or special baggage, please contact a member of staff at a bag drop-off counter.
Locations of self-service bag drop kiosks in Germany
- In Frankfurt, there are self-service bag drop kiosks in Departures Hall A, counters 260–277 and in Departures Hall B, counters 453–461. They are open for use from 05:00 to 21:30 hours.
- At Munich Airport, self-service bag drop kiosks are available in Terminal 2 on Departures level 04. They are located in the middle of the central Lufthansa Economy check-in area and at the two side entrances of the car lane as well as the taxi and bus lanes, and are open for use from 04:00 to 21:00 hours.
- In Hamburg, the self-service bag drop kiosks are located at the ‘island head’ of check-in rows 7 and 8 and are open for use from 04:30 to 21:00 hours.
- At Stuttgart Airport the self-service bag drop kiosks are located in Terminal 3 at counters 320 to 323 and are open from 04:00 until 20:00 hours. Check-in is possible up to 40 minutes before departure on the day of departure.
Self-service bag drop kiosks outside Germany
Outside Germany, you will also find our self-service bag drop kiosks at the following airports:
- ARN (Stockholm, Sweden)
- BLL (Billund, Denmark)
- DUB (Dublin, Ireland)
- LCY (London, UK)
- LHR (London, UK)
- OSL (Oslo, Norway)
Checking in baggage at the self-service bag drop kiosks – how it works:
- Scan the barcode of your boarding pass on the scanner. Please make sure that the backlight of your mobile phone is on if you are using a mobile boarding pass.
- Check the booking information that appears on the screen and press ‘Check in baggage’ if all the details are correct.
- Place your first piece of baggage on the conveyor belt.
- The self-adhesive bag tag is printed automatically.
- Attach the tag to your baggage item.
- Confirm the removal of your baggage. You can now check in your other items of baggage.
- A receipt will be printed out for your checked baggage. Please retain this receipt until you have collected your bags at your destination airport.
Baggage check-in with a Fast Lane – Fast Bag Drop
Use the Fast Bag Drop machines to check in your baggage quickly. The only stipulation is that you must be in possession of a boarding pass issued from 23 hours before departure on your smartphone, online or at a check-in machine at the airport.
You can get your bag tag online via Home Tag, Smart Bag or at the new Bag Tag printers at the airport. Attach your bag tag to your bag and drop it off yourself at a Fast Bag Drop machine.
Fast Bag Drop machines and Bag Tag printers can be found at the following airports:
- Frankfurt Airport, Terminal 1, Departure Hall B and in the AiRail Check-in at the long-distance railway station
- Munich Airport, Terminal 2, Level 4
Baggage check-in at the bag drop-off counter
After you have received your boarding pass on your mobile phone, online or from a check-in machine, you can check in your baggage conveniently at a bag drop-off counter.
You will receive a section of the bag tag as a receipt for your checked baggage; this helps us to trace your bags should they be lost. Please keep this tag receipt with you until you have collected all your bags at your destination airport.
Checking in your bags at the bulky-baggage counter
Surfboards, prams, pushchairs and backpacks – some items of luggage need to be checked in separately at the dedicated bulky-baggage counter. Lufthansa staff at the airport can tell you whether your item of luggage counts as bulky baggage.
- At Frankfurt Airport you can check in your bulky items of baggage at counter 445.
- At Munich Airport, the bulky-baggage counter is located in Terminal 2 on Level 04 by counters 25 and 26.