Transporting animals as additional carry-on baggage in the cabin
Lufthansa cares for the safety and well-being of all its passengers – and this also, of course, includes animals.
For this reason, our guidelines respect current animal welfare provisions, import and export regulations and the regulations of the International Air Transport Association (IATA). To make sure that your pet arrives safe and sound at your destination, on this page you will find all the important information about transporting animals as excess baggage in the air-conditioned cargo hold in special transport containers.
In addition, please note the general information on the carriage of animals on Lufthansa flights.
Small dogs and cats, who weigh a maximum of 8 kg including a suitable transport container, may be taken with you into the passenger cabin. When travelling with assistance dogs (for example, guide dogs or hearing dogs) the following exceptions apply in the cabin.
Please note: each passenger is allowed to take a maximum of two animals with them (in an approved transport container). Animals can be transported either in the cabin and/or in the cargo hold:
- No more than two animals (dog or cat) in the cabin (in an approved transport container) or no more than two animals in the cargo hold (in one or two approved transport containers)
- One animal (dog or cat) in the cabin (in an approved transport container) and one animal in the cargo hold (in an approved transport container)
Please also note the minimum age of the animals to be transported. For dogs and cats the minimum age is:
- 12 weeks,
- for transportation to/from Germany 15 weeks,
- for transportation to/from the USA 16 weeks.
Compliance with import and export regulations, as well as with animal welfare provisions, is your responsibility. Please enquire about the regulations applicable in the country or countries you intend to visit at their respective consulates and at your veterinary surgery. Furthermore, Lufthansa reserves the right to apply even stricter regulations and to refuse the booking on certain routes (such as, for example, to the UK, Ireland and Bangalore in India) if necessary.
In the event of Lufthansa having to refuse the carriage of your pet because of non-compliance with the regulations, Lufthansa is not liable for any resulting costs, such as rebooking charges, animal boarding costs or hotel accommodation.
In exceptional cases, for example due to the regulations of an individual country, it is possible that your animal cannot be transported in the cabin, even if the requirements stated here are fulfilled. However, transport as air freight in the cargo hold of a Lufthansa aircraft may be possible. Varying prices apply for shipping as air freight.
For this, you need a carrier who specialises in transporting animals. You can find the contact details of one near you with the help of the animal freight forwarder search . If you have any questions about this, the Lufthansa Cargo Service Centre will be happy to help you on tel.: 0180 6 – 747 100 (calls cost EUR 0.20/min. from German landlines; calls from mobile networks cost a max. of EUR 0.60/min.).
To ensure the safe and undisturbed operation of the flight, your pet must be trained to be obedient to your commands and must behave appropriately in a public space (e.g. no barking or growling). If your pet does not behave in an appropriate manner, Lufthansa may transfer it to the cargo hold at an additional cost or refuse to transport it. You are liable for any damage and additional costs arising from the transport of your animal.
To enable you to take your pet with you into the cabin as carry-on baggage, we need your confirmation that the animal meets the stated requirements. For this purpose, please present two copies of the fully completed and signed form at the check-in counter:
Transporting an animal in the passenger cabin
Specifications for the transport container
A soft-sided carrier that can be securely fastened is required for the transport of small dogs and cats in the cabin. You must bring this with you. It is not, as a general rule, possible to purchase one at the airport.
- The maximum size is 118 cm (55 x 40 x 23 cm) or 47 in (22 x 16 x 9 in).
- The total weight of the transport container, including the animal, must not exceed 8 kg.
- The animal must be able to stand in its natural position in the closed transport container, and also lie down and turn without any restriction.
- The container must be escape-proof, leak-proof and bite-proof.
- The inside of the container must be lined with absorbent material. We recommend a blanket or old clothing. Newspaper, cardboard and straw are not permitted.
- The animal must be stowed in the transport container under the seat in front of you when on board. If this is not possible, it must be attached to your safety belt by a lead while remaining in the container.
- Only one transport container per passenger is allowed in the cabin.
- The number of animals per transport container is limited to one animal. However, exceptions apply.1
1 Exceptions: two young animals of comparable size and a minimum age of 12 weeks or two fully grown animals of comparable size or a mother animal with one young animal (0–6 weeks) still dependent on the mother are permitted in the same transport container. The requirement for transporting several animals in the same container is that all the animals in the container must be able to stand, lie down and turn in their natural positions, the animals are used to being together and the maximum total weight of all the animals including transport container does not exceed 8 kg.
With Lufthansa, taking your pet with you into the cabin is subject to a charge. The price depends upon the route and is charged only once per flight direction, i.e. also on Lufthansa connecting flights (e.g. on a direct flight from Hamburg via Frankfurt to Madrid). For return flights and stop-overs (travel interrupted for more than 24 hours), the price is charged again.
You can pay to transport your pet at check-in or at the Lufthansa service counter at the airport. In addition to your pet and its transport container, you can, of course, also use the free baggage allowance included in your ticket.
You can check your free baggage allowance in just a few steps with our baggage calculator – based on route, travel class and fare. Here you can also find the prices for transporting your pet in the cargo hold or in the cabin.
To make your preparations easier, we have prepared a checklist for you with all the important points.