Child restraint systems
Unfortunately Lufthansa is unable to provide you with child restraint systems, but as parents you are welcome to bring your own car seats or baby baskets on board with you for your children. Please note that the child restraint system is your property and therefore also your responsibility.
Do you need a child seat in an aircraft?
Infants under two years of age can travel on the lap of an accompanying adult. In this instance, flight attendants will give the adult a safety belt for the child before take-off. The child can also travel on a separate seat. If this is the case, the child must be secured by a child restraint system that the adult must bring on board with them.
Conditions for the use of child restraint systems and so-called "comfort devices"
By taking your own child restraint system on board you confirm that:
- you are aware of the airline’s general conditions of carriage,
- the child restraint system is a product acceptable to Lufthansa. If you use an unlisted child restraint system, there is no guarantee that you will be able to use it on board. Child restraint systems which only consist of straps that fasten over and/or around the back of the seat cannot be used on board. The child restraint system must only be attached using the seat’s lap belt.
- the child restraint system is in perfect working order, you are familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions for the system’s use and fitting in an aircraft and you can attach the child restraint system to the passenger seat on your own. Please understand that, regrettably, our flight attendants will not be able to help you fix the child restraint system in place.
- You have agreed that the child restraint system must be checked in as hold baggage if it cannot be fitted properly to the passenger seat.
- So-called ‘comfort devices’, which are attached to the passenger seat or placed in the footwell (e.g. inflatable cubes, seat extenders, etc.) may not be used on board Lufthansa flights for safety reasons.
Points to note when booking and checking in
The use of a child restraint system is, of course, free of charge. Please note, however, that the child restraint system must be attached to a passenger seat. For babies (under 2 years), therefore, you must purchase a CHILD ticket. In this case, you must bring a child restraint system for your baby (0–2 years) with you. Otherwise, the baby must sit on an adult’s lap throughout the flight despite the purchased seat. The child restraint system must not impede other passengers in the event of a possible emergency evacuation. The following rules are therefore in place in relation to boarding and seat designation; please observe these when checking in and choosing your seat:
- We recommend that you choose a window seat for the child using the child restraint system. As the accompanying adult, you should take the seat next to them in any case.
- Please avoid choosing seats in the emergency exit rows.