AIRail routes at a glance
- Cologne Central Station (via Siegburg/Bonn) - Frankfurt and back
- Stuttgart Central Station - Frankfurt and back
- Dusseldorf Central Station - Frankfurt and back
- Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe Station - Frankfurt and back
- Karlsruhe Central Station - Frankfurt and back
Information on the departure and arrival times of AIRail services can be found in the Lufthansa timetable.
The Lufthansa AIRail – a perfect combination of train and flight
The precise coordination of the trains with Lufthansa flights ensures passengers enjoy optimal transfer times.
When you start your journey on an AIRail train, you can check in for both the train journey and your flight in advance from home. On arrival at Frankfurt Airport’s mainline station, you can check in your baggage at the nearby AIRail Terminal.
When your flight arrives at Frankfurt, your baggage is already checked through to your destination. Nevertheless, the Customs check on your baggage takes place in the AIRail Terminal. All your checked bags will be waiting for you in the exclusive AIRail baggage reclaim. You must collect them from there and proceed through Customs. You then simply take your baggage with you on to your AIRail train.
All the important AIRail services at a glance
- Lufthansa boarding pass for AIRail trains as well as for feeder flights/onward flights
- Optimal transfer times between AIRail trains and Lufthansa flights
- Miles & More mileage credit
- Baggage check-in/collection before or after Lufthansa flights in the AIRail terminal at Frankfurt
- At Frankfurt mainline station assistance with boarding and disembarking is available for passengers on arriving and departing AIRail trains
- Seat reservation on all AIRail routes and personal assistance from an AIRail guard on the Cologne – Frankfurt route (and vice versa) and the Stuttgart-Frankfurt route (and vice versa)
- Personal service by an AIRail train steward*
- Check-in is possible up to 15 minutes before the train departs
- You will receive two boarding passes: one for your journey with Lufthansa AIRail and one for your connecting flight
- Your boarding pass also serves as your ticket for the AIRail train
- The coach number, seat number and platform are all shown on your boarding pass
- Baggage check-in/reclaim is in the AIRail Terminal at Frankfurt Airport (located between the mainline station and Terminal 1)
Travellers with special needs
Passengers who require special assistance during the AIRail journey should indicate this when booking and have it confirmed so that assistance can be guaranteed.
On AIRail routes special conditions apply to passengers with reduced mobility:
As the capacity on AIRail routes is limited, please let us know if you have reduced mobility when you book and have your booking confirmed.
Reduced-mobility passengers with their own wheelchair
You will be collected from the relevant Lufthansa area (AIRail terminal Frankfurt, AIRail Centre at Cologne or Stuttgart) 30 minutes before your train is due to depart and taken to your reserved seat on the train. On arrival you will be collected directly from your train seat and taken to the Lufthansa area.
We regret that we are unable to carry passengers who require care over and above the services mentioned here, such as medical support or stretcher transport.
Additional information for AIRail – passengers requiring special assistance
Check-in and boarding pass
For your journey on Lufthansa AIRail you will require a boarding pass which you can issue yourself online or via your mobile phone from 23 hours before the departure of your train.
There are also Lufthansa check-in machines available in Frankfurt and in Cologne and Stuttgart central stations for both AIRail trains and flights at which you can check in and print out your boarding pass.
Your Lufthansa boarding pass for the AIRail route replaces your train ticket, which is why it is important that you are in possession of your boarding pass at least 15 minutes before you start your journey. Should you board the train without a valid boarding pass or use a train that is not shown as an AIRail route, you may incur penalty fares from Deutsche Bahn.
For AIRail passengers booked in Lufthansa First Class or Business Class, seats are reserved in the train’s 1st class carriage.** . Economy Class passengers will have seats reserved for them in the train’s 2nd Class carriages. The carriage and seat number will be shown on your boarding pass.
Your boarding pass for the AIRail route is only valid for the train specified on the boarding pass.
Important information for passengers from Siegburg/Bonn: please issue your boarding pass online or on your mobile phone no later than 15 minutes before your booked AIRail train departs.
Baggage regulations for AIRail travel
As an AIRail passenger you are responsible for your baggage during the train journey up to the point at which you check it in at Frankfurt. Please take your baggage on to the train with you.
Immediately after your train arrives at Frankfurt Airport mainline station, simply check in your baggage in the Lufthansa AIRail Terminal (detailed view).
When your aircraft lands in Frankfurt, you can collect your baggage conveniently in the Lufthansa AIRail Terminal on your way to your train.
The free baggage allowance for your AIRail service corresponds to the baggage regulations for your connecting flight.
For the Lufthansa AIRail service specific AIRail baggage regulations also apply.
The following exceptions apply:
Information about sports equipment and pets on AIRail:
- Bicycles, surf boards and sports weapons cannot be carried on AIRail trains
- Domestic dogs and cats can be transported on AIRail trains
Please also note that excess baggage, sports baggage and animals cannot be checked in at the AIRail Terminal in Frankfurt. Please check these in at counters 445/446 in Departure Hall B.
*currently available on the Cologne and Stuttgart routes. Is gradually being introduced on all routes.
** On some routes a separate lounge area is reserved for First and Business Class passengers in a 2nd class coach. The full switch to seats in the 1st class area will take place in the course of this year.