Find out before departure about checking in baggage at German airports for your Lufthansa, partner or Star Alliance flight. If you have already obtained your boarding pass on your smartphone, online or at a check-in counter, you have the option of checking in your baggage at a self-service bag drop kiosk.
Checking in baggage at the self-service bag drop kiosks
At Frankfurt, Munich and Hamburg airports, you can check in your baggage at the self-service bag drop kiosks.
The only requirement: you must be in possession of a boarding pass that you have issued after mobile or online check-in or at a check-in machine. With your boarding pass you can check in your baggage easily yourself at the self-service bag drop kiosks.
Where to find the self-service bag drop kiosks
- In Frankfurt Airport you currently have the option of checking in your baggage yourself at one of our numerous self-service bag drop kiosks. You will find the self-service bag drop kiosks at Frankfurt in Departures Hall A, counters 260-277 and in Departures Hall B, counters 453-461. The self-service bag drop kiosks are open daily from 03.00 hours to 23.00 hours.
- At Munich Airport our self-service bag drop kiosks are available to you on the Departures level of Terminal 2. The kiosks are located in the middle of the central Lufthansa Economy check-in area as well as at the two side entrances of car park P20’s car lane and at the taxi and bus lane. The self-service bag drop kiosks are open daily from 04.00 hours to 21.00 hours and from 05.00 to 20.00 hours.
- At Hamburg Airport you will find the self-service bag drop kiosks at the ‘head of the island’ of check-in rows 7 and 8. The self-service bag drop kiosks are open daily from 04.30 hours to 21.00 hours.
Requirements for using the self-service bag drop kiosks
For you to check in your bags at a self-service bag drop kiosk, you must already have your boarding pass. You should also have valid travel documents with you. If you are travelling with excess or special baggage, please go to a bag drop-off counter.
Dropping off bags at the self-service bag drop kiosk – how it works:
- Scan the barcode of your boarding pass on the scanner. Please make sure that the backlight of your mobile phone is on if you are using a mobile boarding pass.
- Check the booking information that appears on the screen and press ‘Check in baggage’ if all the details are correct.
- Place your first piece of baggage on the conveyor belt.
- The self-adhesive bag tag is printed automatically.
- Attach the tag to your baggage.
- Confirm the removal of your baggage. You can now check in your other items of baggage.
- A receipt will be printed out for your checked baggage. Please retain this receipt until you have collected your bags at your destination airport.
Baggage check-in with a fast lane – Fast Bag Drop
At Frankfurt Airport you can now check in your baggage even more quickly thanks to our new Fast Bag Drop.
Are you in possession of your boarding pass, which you have issued to your smartphone, online or at a check-in machine, and have you already created a bag tag via Home tag or Smart bag?
Then you are perfectly prepared and, as well as being able to check in your baggage at the self-service bag drop kiosks, the new Fast Bag Drop is now available to you – and this is even faster.
Do you have your boarding pass, but haven’t yet got a bag tag?
Simply print off your bag tag yourself at the new bag tag printer, attach it to your item of baggage and use the Fast Bag Drop.
You will find the new Fast Bag Drop and the bag tag printer close to the familiar self-service bag drop kiosks in Departures Hall A at Frankfurt Airport.
Checking in baggage at the bag drop-off counter
After you have received your boarding pass on your mobile phone, online or from a check-in machine, you can check in your baggage conveniently at a bag drop-off counter.
You will receive a section of the bag tag as a receipt for your checked baggage; this helps us to trace your bags should they be lost. Please keep this tag receipt with you until you have collected all your bags at your destination airport.
Checking in your bags at the bulky-baggage counter
Surfboards, pushchairs or big backpacks – some items of baggage must be checked in separately at the bulky-baggage counter.
Lufthansa staff at the airport will be able to tell you whether your bag will be treated as bulky baggage.
- At Frankfurt Airport you can check in your bulky items of baggage at counter 445.
- At Munich Airport, the bulky-baggage counter is located in Terminal 2 on Level 04 by counters 25 and 26.