Find out before departure about checking in baggage at German airports for your Lufthansa, partner or Star Alliance flight. If you have already obtained your boarding pass on your smartphone, online or at a check-in counter, you have the option of checking in your baggage at a self-service bag drop kiosk.
Baggage check-in at the self-service bag drop kiosks
At Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin and Stuttgart airports, you can check in your baggage quickly and easily yourself at the self-service bag drop kiosks.
The only requirement: You must be in possession of a boarding pass that you have received on your smartphone, online or at a check-in machine, and you must have valid travel documents with you. If you are travelling with excess or special baggage, please contact a member of staff at a bag drop-off counter.
Locations of self-service bag drop kiosks in Germany
- At Frankfurt Airport, there are self-service bag drop kiosks in Departures Hall A, counters 260–277 and in Departures Hall B, counters 453–461. They are open for use from 05:00 to 21:30 hours.
- At Munich Airport, self-service bag drop kiosks are available in Terminal 2 on Departures level 04. They are located in the middle of the central Lufthansa Economy check-in area and at the two side entrances of the car lane as well as the taxi and bus lanes, and are open for use from 04:00 to 21:00 hours.
- At Hamburg Airport, the self-service bag drop kiosks are located in Row 8 in Terminal 2 and are open for use from 04:30 to 21:00 hours.
- At Stuttgart Airport, the self-service bag drop kiosks for Lufthansa Group Austrian, Lufthansa and SWISS are located in Terminal 1 at counters 150–154 and are open for you from 04:00 to 20:00 hours. Check-in is possible up to 40 minutes before departure on the day of departure.
- At Berlin Airport, the self-service bag drop kiosks are available at counters 421–426 of Island 4 in Terminal 1 between 04:00 and 20:30 hours.
Self-service bag drop kiosks outside Germany
Outside Germany, you will also find our self-service bag drop kiosks at the following airports:
- AMS (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- ARN (Stockholm, Sweden)
- BCN (Barcelona, Spain)
- BLL (Billund, Denmark)
- CPH (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- DUB (Dublin, Ireland)
- GOT (Gothenburg, Sweden)
- GVA (Geneva, Switzerland)
- LAX (Los Angeles, USA)
- LCY (London, UK)
- LHR (London, UK)
- OSL (Oslo, Norway)
- PRG (Prague, Czech Republic)
- VIE (Vienna, Austria)
- YUL (Montreal, Canada)
- YYZ (Toronto, Canada)
- ZRH (Zurich, Switzerland)
Baggage check-in with a Fast Lane – Fast Bag Drop
Use the Fast Bag Drop machines to check in your baggage quickly. The only requirement: You must be in possession of a boarding pass issued from 23 hours before departure online, on your smartphone or at a check-in machine at the airport itself.
You can get your bag tag online via Home Tag, Smart Bag or at the Bag Tag printers at the airport. Attach your bag tag to your bag and drop it off yourself at a Fast Bag Drop machine.
Fast Bag Drop machines and Bag Tag printers can be found at the following airports:
- Frankfurt Airport, Terminal 1, Departures Halls A and B and in the AiRail check-in at the long-distance railway station
- Munich Airport, Terminal 2, Level 4
- Berlin-Brandenburg Airport
- Amsterdam Airport
- Stockholm/Arlanda Airport
- Barcelona Airport
- Billund Airport
- Copenhagen-Kastrup Airport
- Dublin Airport
- Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport
- Los Angeles Airport
- London City Airport
- London Heathrow Airport
- Oslo-Gardermoen Airport
- Geneva Airport
- Zurich Airport
- Montréal-Trudeau Airport
- Toronto-Pearson Airport
Checking in your bags at the bulky-baggage counter
Surfboards, prams, and backpacks – some items of baggage need to be checked in separately at the dedicated bulky-baggage counter. You will be told at the airport whether your item of baggage counts as bulky baggage.
- At Frankfurt Airport you can check in your bulky items of baggage at counter 445.
- At Munich Airport, the bulky-baggage counter is located in Terminal 2 on Level 04 by counters 25 and 26.