Excess and special baggage
Excess baggage regulations and flat fees (download)
Flat fees for excess baggage as a PDF
Maximum weight per item of baggage
For all tickets a maximum travel weight of 32 kg per item of baggage applies, irrespective of service class.
Items of baggage which exceed these weights will not be accepted as travel baggage. They can be sent by air cargo at air cargo rates.
Note on Economy Class Light fare
- When booking on LH.com, at the Service Center or a travel agency: 15 EUR / 19 CHF / 17 USD
- When booking at the Lufthansa ticket counter in the airport: 30 EUR / 35 CHF / 35 USD
- When booking at the departure gate and in the Service Centre at the airport: 45 EUR / 55 CHF / 50 USD
Registration of sports baggage: up to 24 hours before departure via the Lufthansa Service Center
quoting your booking code.
Exception rules for sports baggage
- The sports baggage exceeds the free baggage allowance but not the maximum weight: Rules and prices for sports baggage to download
- The sports baggage isn’t listed in the sports baggage regulations: Excess baggage charges apply (see above)
- The sports baggage exceeds the maximum weight of 32 kg: The charges for cargo transport apply
Special baggage and bulky items of baggage
Musical instruments*** which weigh more than 32 kg may only be taken on Lufthansa flights after registration and approval:
Regulation and tariffs for musical instruments
|Route||Maximum weight****||Maximum dimensions||EUR||USD/CAD|
|Within Europe /|
between third countries
|52 kg||200 cm x 75 cm||200||300|
|Intercontinental||52 kg||200 cm x 75 cm||300||400|
*Please note that in a number of countries a service charge may be incurred, in addition to the flat fee, for checking in excess baggage.
**Where applicable, country-specific surcharges will be levied for sports baggage.
***e.g. any type of bass instrument (double-bass, violone, viola da Gamba) or heavy/large percussion instruments (such as timpani or the like).
****Consisting of musical instrument and case/packaging.