It’s great that you are planning to take your toddler with you on your next flight. We would like to prepare you as well as possible for your time on board with us with these important tips and information:
- No special safety measures are necessary for children and toddlers weighing more than 18 kg. However they should remain strapped in for the entire flight.
- For smaller children up to the age of seven, you may take a child restraint system with you. We have put together comprehensive information on these for you.
- The pram or pushchair need not necessarily be checked in as baggage; at most airports, such as at Frankfurt and Munich, for example, it can be used right up to the aircraft door. One of our employees will take it from you before you board the aircraft and return it to you after landing. Please ask a member of our ground crew before checking in your baggage whether it is possible for you to take your child’s pram or pushchair right up to the aircraft.
- If your child has a cold, give him or her nose drops to help equalize the air pressure. The best time to do this is half an hour before take-off and half an hour after landing.
- Pack a little treat for the journey. Of course we always have titbits on board our aircraft for our smallest passengers, but nothing can replace a child's favourite chocolate bar or snack!
- The different climatic conditions at the place of departure, on board (air conditioning) and at your destination can best be balanced by the so-called 'onion look'. Dress your child in several layers of clothing that can then be taken off or put back on as necessary.
- Please don't forget thick socks. As your children’s feet might swell a little at high altitude, we recommend that you remove their shoes on board.
- Meals that are suitable for children (from 2 years of age) have to be ordered separately when you book your flight. We have put together some information about this for you: children’s menus on board.
Fun and games for little ones
Keeping our young passengers entertained is very close to our hearts; that is why there is also an extensive entertainment programme for children and infants on board. You can read more about entertainment for older children and teenagers here.
The crew hands out super children’s toys — colouring books, puzzles, etc. — to our youngest passengers on all routes. There is entertainment suitable for children, such as specially selected documentaries, children’s films, radio plays and much more, in our in-flight entertainment programme. As a parent, you also have the option of blocking all other channels to your children (parental lock function — ask the crew about it!). On a number of our long-haul aircraft (on several Airbus A330s and on all A380s and B747-8is) children can observe the aircraft up close from the pilot’s viewpoint during take-off and landing via the external cameras.
When children take their first flight with Lufthansa, they receive our Lufthansa logbook on board to collect and record their flights. When the logbook is full, they receive a fantastic pilot’s certificate. Children can find all the information about the logbook on the ‘My logbook’ page.
We also have JetFriends, our Miles & More Club for kids and teens. Here children large and small can find fascinating topics related to flying, travel and Lufthansa and they also enjoy fantastic benefits. Further information can be found on the ‘JetFriends – Club for kids & teens’ page.
In First and Business Class on long-haul flights from Germany a JetFriends Amenity Kit awaits our young passengers. It contains surprises such as children’s toothbrushes, ear plugs, ABS socks and toys.
Games during the flight
We have put together some ideas for games in a PDF that you can print out and take along on your flight so that our young passengers can enjoy a variety of activities during the flight.
Ideas for games on board (PDF, 365 kB)