Country-specific regulations for travelling with children


Little girl with air stewardess in front of Lufthansa logo


It is the passenger’s responsibility to find out about current entry and exit requirements and to carry the required documents with them. Lufthansa is not responsible at this point.

It is your obligation and your sole responsibility to obtain the necessary travel documentation and visas for your trip for yourself and your children and to comply with all the regulations of the countries which you will be flying over or to or from; the same applies to our rules and instructions in this regard. Your travel documentation and visas must be valid for the entire duration of your trip including any breaks. We bear no responsibility in this respect, especially as we are not obliged to check the validity of documents.

We are not liable for the consequences that may result from your failure to obtain the necessary papers or from your failure to comply with the relevant regulations or instructions.

In a number of countries specific entry and exit requirements apply to children who are travelling alone or who are only accompanied by one parent or guardian or by someone who is neither a parent nor a legal guardian.


Travel from UK

Air Passenger Duty* (APD) for children and youth

UK Air Passenger Duty has been abolished for children aged 2 to 11 years when travelling in economy class, on all flights departing from UK airports on or after 1 May 2015. The Lufthansa booking system has already been updated with this information and no Air Passenger Duty will be charged. If you have booked a ticket already on for your child, kindly contact your
Lufthansa Service Center
for refunding the APD tax.

In addition to this, UK Air Passenger Duty has been abolished for young persons aged between 12 and 15 years when travelling in economy class, on all flights departing the UK on or after 1 March 2016. Lufthansa is currently in the process of updating the systems so that the website in the future will display the correct APD for young persons aged 12 to 15 years travelling in economy class from the 1 March 2016 onwards. While Lufthansa is working on the system, please call your
Lufthansa Service Center when making an economy class booking for young passengers aged 12 to 15 years for travel 1 March 2016.

Air Passenger Duty still applies to all bookings in Premium Economy Class, Business Class and First Class.

If you have made a booking or a ticket has been issued by a travel agent, you will need to contact that travel agent.

*The Air Passenger Duty is a UK Government tax levied on air travel from UK airports.


Travel from Italy

Every child of Italian nationality, who is under 14 years old and is travelling alone or accompanied by persons who are not their parents or legal guardians, must hold a fully completed declaration, the so-called Dichiarazione di affido (Law No. 1185/67), which can be obtained from the local police station (Questura) (not from the airport police). In the case of children travelling alone this PROCEDURE IS OBLIGATORY FOR UNACCOMPANIED MINORS.
This declaration must be carried together with the child’s passport. If the documentation is incomplete, the child may be refused boarding.
You can find further information on the website of the Polizia di Stato, the Italian National Police (in Italian only).


Travel from the USA and Canada

Children and teenagers under the age of 18 travelling to/from an airport in the USA, and under the age of 19 travelling to/from an airport in Canada, require a notarized consent letter from their parents or legal guardians. If a child or teenager is travelling with only one parent or guardian the notarized consent letter from the parent/guardian who is not travelling with them is required. If a parent/legal guardian has sole custody, then proof of sole custody must be presented.

Children and teenagers who cannot produce proper consent letters may be refused boarding.

Please contact the nearest Consulate of the country to which you are traveling for information regarding additional documents that may be required. Further information is also available at for the United States and for Canada.


Travel from Romania

Minors - Romanian nationals - under 18 years of age, holding a Romanian passport or Romanian ID card (for travel within EU)

  • travelling alone from a Romanian airport, must carry a written, officially authorized declaration of consent for travel from parent(s) or legal guardian(s), issued by a notary. This also applies if the children are travelling accompanied by adults other than parents or legal guardians. On request, “unaccompanied minors service” may be provided by the airline.
  • travelling from a Romanian airport accompanied only by one of their parents, should be holding an officially authorized (issued by a notary) declaration of consent for travel from the other parent.
  • The official declaration of consent issued by a notary should be authorized before the date of departure, it cannot be authorized or issued by the airport border police.

The minor passenger may be refused boarding if the required paperwork is not provided before embarkation. For detailed information please contact the LH Service Center Romania.

You may find further information at (Conditii de calatorie -> Minori) or calling the Bucharest Border Police local number + 40 21 9590.


Travel from Moldova

Minors – Moldova nationals - under 18 years of age, holding a passport issued by the Republic of Moldova may travel ex Moldova only accompanied by adults – their parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Under special conditions, minors travelling to/from place of study may be accepted on board flights departing from Moldova, after mandatory written consent is provided. There is no possibility to grant travel authorization on departure, at the airport.

Important: the minor may be refused boarding if the required paperwork is not provided to responsible authorities. For detailed information please contact the LH Service Center Moldova.

You may find further information at


Travel from South Africa

On entering and leaving the country, children and teenagers under 18 travelling alone must, among other documentation, present a declaration of consent from their parents or single parent or legal guardian that confirms that the child may enter and leave the Republic of South Africa.

Children and teenagers under 18 years of age travelling alone must also carry their original birth certificate or a copy of their birth certificate with them on entering and leaving the country.

In addition, the parents’ contact details, a letter including the home address, contact details and residence permit of the person who will be meeting the child in the Republic of South Africa and a copy of this person’s ID card must be presented.

Should the child or teenager be travelling with only one parent or legal guardian, the notarised consent of the parent/legal guardian who is not travelling with the child must be brought along.

If a single parent/legal guardian has sole custody of the child, evidence of this sole custody must be produced.

You will find further information on the Republic of South Africa’s entry and exit regulations under Entry of children to, or their exit from, the Republic of South Africa.


Star Alliance