The FlyNet® Summer Special
Until end of August 2014 a HotSpot Sky pass for two hours of on-board Internet access will be available for only 9 euros instead of the usual price of 10.95 an hour! During the same period, you will be able to buy a 24 hour HotSpot Sky pass for only 15 euros instead of the usual price of 19.95 euros. Payment can be made using all major credit cards.
More than 91% of all Lufthansa long-haul aircraft already have it: Lufthansa FlyNet®, the limitless communication service on board. Whether you are using Wi-Fi or mobile technology, everything (except making phone calls) is possible on board our long-haul flights. Lufthansa is the airline with the largest internet-enabled long-haul fleet in the world!* Our A380 aircraft are gradually being fitted out [with FlyNet®].
In cooperation with our partner Panasonic Avionics Corporation, we are gradually implementing this service offer across the majority of Lufthansa’s global long-haul network. Live TV with the Sport 24 premium channel has also recently become available to you.
Benefits at a glance
Whether you want to surf for fun or would prefer to spend your time on board working, Lufthansa FlyNet® creates the ideal conditions for you:
- Fast and powerful online access above the clouds gives you Internet access on your WLAN-enabled laptop, tablet or smartphone in all travel classes.
- Send and receive emails with large file attachments without time delay (high transmission speed)
- Log into your company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- FlyNet® now also enables you to transfer data by Mobile technology (GSM and GPRS technology) too. So once cruising altitude is reached, you will be able to use your mobile phone to, for example, send and receive SMS and MMS messages or to synchronise data via your smartphone.
- Requirement: your mobile phone company has a roaming agreement with the service provider on board, AeroMobile. Billing will be through your mobile operator.
The option of making mobile phone calls has been disabled in response to the wishes of a majority of our customers. In addition, customers are advised that Internet telephony (VOIP) is likewise not permitted.
It is so easy to get online on board
After opening your browser, you will connect automatically to the free Lufthansa FlyNet® portal. Here, as well as the latest business, political, sports and entertainment news you will find weather forecasts, be able to find out about your connecting flights or tune into the English-language live TV channel, Sport 24.
Costs and billing
The HotSpot Sky 24 hour pass can, whilst it remains valid, be used in any Lufthansa aircraft equipped with ‘FlyNet®’. Please note that the HotSpot Sky pass tariffs are based on the so-called ‘parking meter principle’. This means that your HotSpot Sky pass has a fixed life that starts the first time you log on and which cannot be extended by temporarily logging off the Internet.
- HotSpot Pass Sky 1 hours: €10.95 or 3,500 miles
- HotSpot Pass Sky 24 hours: €19.95 or 7,000 miles
The 24-hour Hotspot Pass Sky can be used, whilst valid, in any Lufthansa aircraft equipped with FlyNet®.
Alternatively, if you are a customer of Deutsche Telekom or one of its affiliated roaming partners, you can also log on easily and conveniently with your access data, which you will need to request before the start of your journey. Your FlyNet® Internet use will then be charged in line with your service provider’s tariff. Please bear in mind that use on board the aircraft is billed as ‘international roaming’ and is therefore not necessarily included in the flat rate.
*= NB: the sole exception are flights over China – the system switches off automatically when entering Chinese airspace and on again when leaving it.