For safety reasons the following items are not allowed on board:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones. The smartphone is neither allowed on board nor in the carry-on and checked baggage. Lufthansa Group does not offer any storage facilities at the airports.
- Briefcases with built-in alarm devices
- Explosives, fireworks, flares
- Pressurized containers containing irritant gases, self-defense sprays, camping gas
- Containers with flammable liquids such as lighter fuel, paint, varnish, cleaning agents
- Items that ignite easily, such as matches
- Substances that emit flammable gases upon contact with water
- Oxidizing substances, such as bleaching powder, peroxides
- Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances, such as quicksilver, bacteria and virus cultures
- Radioactive materials and items
- Corrosive substances, such as acids, alkalis, wet cell batteries
- Strongly magnetic materials
- Petrol-operated equipment and tools that have contained minimal amounts of petrol (e.g. for test purposes)
- Electro shock weapons, such as tasers
- Self-balancing, small electric vehicles such as hoverboards, mini-Segways, Airwheels and Solowheels, for example
The carriage of small, self-balancing electronic devices which are powered by lithium batteries (lithium-powered personal devices) is prohibited on board aircraft both in checked baggage and in carry-on baggage. This regulation applies irrespective of the battery power. The types of self-balancing electronic device covered by this prohibition include:
- Airwheels and Solowheels
- Luggage scooters
- eBikes with lithium batteries
Wheelchairs or other mobility aids which are powered by lithium batteries are not affected by this ban.
Exceptions to the rule on the carriage of dangerous items
For safety reasons passengers are prohibited from transporting dangerous items. However, under certain circumstances exceptions will be made to this rule.
Please also be aware that certain items are allowed in cabin baggage but not in checked baggage. These items have to be removed if cabin baggage cannot be accommodated in the cabin. This concerns such items as safety matches and lighters; spare lithium metal or spare lithium ion batteries, and e-cigarettes.
Information on the carriage of dangerous goods (PDF)
Rule for lighters
Weapons and ammunition in checked baggage
Weapons and ammunition must be packed in separate bags. If necessary, a special baggage box must be used to separate both items. Weapons must be unloaded.