The benefits of child restraint systems
A child restraint system or child car seat or baby seat can be used on board to increase the passive safety of infants and children (up to about 7 years of age). Their use is entirely voluntary. As families enjoy priority boarding on Lufthansa flights, you will have time to get to your seat and attach the child seat without rushing.
Conditions of use for child restraint systems
Unfortunately Lufthansa is not able to provide you with a child restraint system, but as a parent you are welcome to bring your own child car seat or baby seat on board with you for your children. Please note that the child restraint system is your property and therefore also your responsibility. By taking your own child restraint system on board you confirm that:
- You are aware of the airline’s general conditions of carriage.
- The child restraint system is a product accepted by Lufthansa (see table as PDF).
- The CRS is in perfect working order; you are familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions for the system’s use and fitting in an aircraft and you can attach the child restraint system to the passenger seat on your own. Please understand that, unfortunately, our flight attendants will not be able to help you fix the child restraint system in place.
- You have agreed that the CRS must be checked in as hold baggage if it cannot be fitted properly to the passenger seat.
Points to note when booking and checking in
The use of child restraint systems is, of course, free of charge. Please note, however, that the CRS must be attached to a seat. For a child aged under two years, therefore, you must purchase a CHILD ticket.
Other passengers must not be inconvenienced by the use of the CRS and it must not impede other passengers in the event of a possible emergency evacuation. The following rules are therefore in place in relation to boarding and seat designation; please observe these when checking in and choosing your seat:
- We recommend that you choose a window seat for the child using the child restraint system. As the accompanying adult you should take the seat next to them.
- On wide-bodied aircraft it is also possible to book a seat in the middle row.
- Please avoid booking seats in the emergency exit rows.